Rolling Chassis

Saturday 21st July

With the van loaded with my shiny new engine it was back on to the A1 for a trip down to GD to drop the engine off and to have a first look at my rolling chassis.

The plan being that we would head back to GD a few week later once the clutch and gearbox arrived and we could assemble everything and fit it into the chassis at GD using their engine hoist.

Rolling Chassis

AP Brake Upgrade

Engine Collection

Saturday 21st July 2012

The day has finally come to collect my engine and to be hinest I'm feeling a little like a kid on Christmas day.

A van is hired and its off to Castleford we go.

Driving to Engine Data Analysis on a bright summer's morning has also added to the air of excitement being shared by Ali and myself. On arrival the engine is already on an engine hoist and is in the entrance to the workshop. My grin is now from ear to ear and Ken is out to greet us with a handshake and a coffee.

Looking at this magnificent looking engine, I'm even more convinced I have done the right thing going down the iron block route as opposed to the supposedly more refined and less thirsty LS fuel injected units that GD like to use. I set out wanting original looks and great performance and I think this fits the bill just nicely.

Rear View

Front View

One thing that I had always liked when looking at original AC Cobra's was the large oval air filter. I had asked Ken if he could source this for me and we quickly changed the standard big round Edelbrock filter for the 'Cobra' filter. I hope you agree the final result looks bang on. As Steve comments in his blog, this might upset a few of the Ford purists but you know what? I don't give a damn - I just love the look of my engine. And the best thing is that it is unique. It has been built to my exact specification and design.
Now with the Oval 'Cobra' air filter

Time now to load the precious cargo into the van...

Leaving EDA
Loaded and ready to roll

Engine Update

Received a call from Ken at EDA to say that the engine was built and ready for me to see it on the Dyno machine.

Ill post a photo here later showing the engine on the Dyno and put all the results up - but suffice to say I was over the moon with the performance figures. In short its about 75 bhp/tonne more than a Porsche 911 GT Turbo!!!

Ken, the perfectionist that he is still wasn't quite happy and suggested a few more tweaks were needed. A couple of days later he had changed some of the Carb settings, worked some more magic, squeezed a few more horse power and a created better torque curve. The engine was now ready for collection... Big smiles all round :)

As promised here is the engine on the Dyno

Max Power - 412Bhp @ 5500rpm
Max Torque - 455lb/ft @ 4100rpm